It’s the height of summer and with that said, it’s time to stay as cool as we can. To help you out, we’re sending along some ideas in our August Blogs on how to serve delicious dinners pool side at your vacation rental in San Miguel …. without a stove, oven or grill!
Brisket and Rice Noodles with Pineapple Salsa
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1/2 (8.8-oz.) package thin rice noodles
1/2 fresh pineapple, peeled, cored, and finely chopped
1 1/2 small Kirby cucumbers, seeded and sliced
1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 1/2 tablespoons seasoned rice wine vinegar
3 tablespoons hoisin sauce
2 tablespoons roasted peanut oil
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
1 tablespoon fish sauce
1 teaspoon Asian hot chili sauce (such as Sriracha)
4 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 pound shredded smoked beef brisket, warm (
(Note: Find this at the American-style supermarket, Mega, in San Miguel)
1/2 cup sliced pickled Peppadew peppers
1/2 cup assorted torn mint, basil, and cilantro
- Microwave 8 cups water and 1 Tbsp. kosher salt at HIGH in a large microwave-safe glass bowl 2 minutes. Submerge noodles in water; let stand 20 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, toss together pineapple and next four ingredients; add table salt and black pepper to taste.
- Whisk together hoisin sauce, next four ingredients, and two Tbsp. water. Combine drained noodles and two Tbsp. hoisin sauce mixture in a medium bowl, tossing to coat.
- Divide lettuce among 4 bowls. Top with noodles, pineapple mixture, brisket, and peppers. Drizzle with desired amount of remaining hoisin mixture. Sprinkle with herbs, and serve immediately.
Texas Caviar Rice and Beans
1 (15.8-oz.) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
1 (15-oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 cup finely chopped roasted red bell peppers
1/4 cup finely chopped poblano pepper
2 (8.8-oz.) pouches fully cooked basmati rice
(Note: We love Uncle Ben’s microwave rice products)
1 1/4 cups halved grape tomatoes
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded pepper Jack cheese
3/4 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
2/3 cup thinly sliced celery
1/3 cup thinly sliced green onions
Garnish: sliced pickled jalapeño peppers
- Stir together first 4 ingredients and 1/4 cup Texas Vinaigrette in a microwave-safe glass bowl; let stand 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. Microwave at HIGH 2 minutes or until thoroughly heated, stirring at 30-second intervals.
- Heat rice according to package directions; fluff with a fork. Divide bean mixture, rice, tomatoes, and next 4 ingredients among 4 to 6 individual plates. Serve with tortilla chips and remaining vinaigrette.